The Lord's Theme For The Year

The Lord has crowned the year (2011) with His goodness and caused us to walk in His paths that drips with His fatness (Psalm 65:11)

Saturday, October 20, 2007

In memory of my earthly father.."I have wasted 65 years of my life"

My father was a very interesting person; when he made up his mind about something, he would go all out to accomplish what he had set his mind on. When he came home that evening from the rally, he was so overjoyed according to my sister-in-law that he wanted to share the joy with all his friends. And so that week, he and my mom went visiting - not for Chinese New Year (not right time in June) but to tell all their friends about their newfound joy in the Lord!

In fact one of his good friends shared with us later that my father made a comment, "I have wasted 65 years of my life, and now I want to put back what I had lost". He was so fervent in his sharing that a number of his friends actually received Christ and joined him at St James' Church (Cantonese Congregation) at Holland Road. And the great change did not end there. In fact he was so full of the Spirit that he wanted to serve in the church and so the pastor appointed him the leader in charge of prayer meeting and he was a cell-group leader. His bible study sessions were all well attended and the amazing thing about the whole experience was that my mother who had very little primary education in China and could hardly read the scriptures for herself, complemented him but taking charge of the refreshment area - she reckoned that since she cannot do anything by way of leadership and yet be able to support dad in his service, the least she could do was to serve in the area of refreshment and she did whip up many great refreshments for the elderly who came for all the bible study and prayer sessions plus the cell-group meetings.

From cell-group leader, my dad was promoted to become the Vicar's Warden; a position in the Anglican Diocese that is meant to assist the pastor/vicar in whatever pastoral duties that he cannot fulfill because of time limitations. I recalled him telling me how he received his Lay Reader licence from the Bishop of Singapore. At age 70 when he was called up by the Diocese Office to present himself for an examination, he told the pastor that he cannot study as he could not memorize certain subject matter and so when the Bishop heard of his case, he was subsequently called up for an interview by the Bishop instead and based on his confession of faith and the recommendation of the pastor, he was presented his licence there and then - signed, sealed and delivered by the Bishop himself. What a testimony!

1 comment:

  1. Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

    ReplyDelete

Please provide email address when you leave a comment, thanks.

A New Believer's Prayer

Thank you Father for loving us so much that You sent Your precious Son Jesus Christ to this world to die for all our sins. I receive Jesus into my heart as my Lord and Savior.
Thank you that all my sins have been nailed to the Cross on Jesus at His death and because He died in our place, I am now saved forever. I have been made righteous in Your sight because of what Jesus did and I can now enjoy Your blessings over my life. Thank you for the privilege of being called Your Child and for the Gift of Your Holy Spirit in my life. AMEN