The Lord's Theme For The Year

The Lord has crowned the year (2011) with His goodness and caused us to walk in His paths that drips with His fatness (Psalm 65:11)

Friday, April 30, 2010

Lessons I Learnt From Observing Our Pet Dog - Part 1

Our pet beagle, Scot, had been with the family for slightly more than 13 years and on reflection, I would say I have learnt many usual lessons on relationships with my Lord and Savior. You will notice from the title of this post that this is only Part 1 and so there will be a continuation as we go along.

As a puppy, Scot was a very playful beagle. As our son Adrian would phrase it, Scot had been redeemed from the cage and having tasted freedom from bondage, he (I use this pronoun as Scot is a male beagle) was pretty wild and for the first three months, managed to 'chew' at least one pair of Alice's (my wife) sandals and was onto her second pair. Not wanting to lose more shoes, we decided to engage the services of a trainer to come and 'discipline' him over ten sessions. This trainer is very experienced as his father used to work for the police dog unit and trained many German shepherds and alsatians.
Indeed, after ten weeks, Scot immediately became better mannered and kind of knew his boundaries.

And this reminded me of how our Lord would allow us His children to be child-trained so as to remove all the bad behaviors and encouraged to pick up good ones. The ten weeks of training reminded me also of the need for a young believer to be discipled (followed up) to ground him/her in the faith of our Lord.
Indeed, the training was at times painful for Scot but the end result speaks for itself - he became a 'domesticated' pet. A believer in Christ, after having been followed up with proper training and guidance would be in a better position to take on the world and prosper.

So the first lesson I learnt was the need for discipleship training for the new believer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide email address when you leave a comment, thanks.

A New Believer's Prayer

Thank you Father for loving us so much that You sent Your precious Son Jesus Christ to this world to die for all our sins. I receive Jesus into my heart as my Lord and Savior.
Thank you that all my sins have been nailed to the Cross on Jesus at His death and because He died in our place, I am now saved forever. I have been made righteous in Your sight because of what Jesus did and I can now enjoy Your blessings over my life. Thank you for the privilege of being called Your Child and for the Gift of Your Holy Spirit in my life. AMEN