The Lord's Theme For The Year

The Lord has crowned the year (2011) with His goodness and caused us to walk in His paths that drips with His fatness (Psalm 65:11)

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Jesus Gave Us All That He Has

During the signing of the marriage certificate at my daughter's wedding, I was reminded of the marriage vow I made to my wife when we got married almost 30 years ago. The pastor kept reminding my son-in-law (I would rather coin it as son-in-grace because we are all under grace now) that what was to be his will now be hers (his wife's) and what was hers will remain as hers.
I know this sounds strange but that principle is actually very scriptural. In Revelations 21:2, "Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband", we know that the apostle John through the Holy Spirit was talking about the Church as the Bride of Christ and that we are joined with Christ when we invited Him into our hearts.
Jesus came to give us life and in the process emptied Himself of all that He had so that He could purchase us for Himself and we the Church (individually as well as corporately) receive His blessings and this is the interesting part - we only receive and we never have to give up anything. Hence the refrain - He gave us all and we gave Him nothing in return.
And to top it all, three times the pastor asked Joshua whether he had any regrets and that he still has the option to say no until he placed his signature on the marriage certificate. Three times he asked the question and each time Joshua said, 'no regrets', 'I am very sure' and this reminded me of the three occasions at the Garden of Gethsemene when the option of passing the cup of God's wrath was giving to Jesus and each time He rejected the offer and said, 'not as I will, but yours be done' and He went to the cross willingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide email address when you leave a comment, thanks.

A New Believer's Prayer

Thank you Father for loving us so much that You sent Your precious Son Jesus Christ to this world to die for all our sins. I receive Jesus into my heart as my Lord and Savior.
Thank you that all my sins have been nailed to the Cross on Jesus at His death and because He died in our place, I am now saved forever. I have been made righteous in Your sight because of what Jesus did and I can now enjoy Your blessings over my life. Thank you for the privilege of being called Your Child and for the Gift of Your Holy Spirit in my life. AMEN